Friday, January 16, 2009

Waking up from a long nightmare



I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the end of Bush's presidency. This morning I watched his farewell address, trying to keep an open mind and imagine what this would be like from his perspective. He must be aware of the excitement and relief Americans are feeling about Obama. With just 4 more days in office, his legacy is out of his hands. So, I tried to be sympathetic and hear him out.
But then he said that under his presidency, Iraq has become "a democracy in the heart of the Arab world, and a friend to America."
I can't even try to understand him.
Bush has been president for all of my high school and college years, all of the years that I've been interested in politics. When I've introduced myself as an American, I've always had to explain that I disagree with Bush, too. Now when people hear I'm an American, they congratulate me on Obama's win, not knowing whether I'm a democrat or not. Obama already has brought change.

No comments: