Sunday, September 23, 2012

Honeymoon Part 2: I-5 from LA to Wine Country


Richard and I in Amsterdam, en route to the train station & airport

To be honest, I'm not that keen on Amsterdam.  I've already seen the Rijksmuseum and the Bloemenmarkt (Skagit Valley actually exports more tulips than Holland does!), and I'm not interested in the Red Light District or the 'coffee shops'.  The people seem a bit too cool & efficient, and while I've known some lovely Dutch people in the UK, I think it's worth noting that they chose to be in the UK...

The next day, after a very long flight, we arrived in LA!  I drove for the first time in 6 months--we rented a Ford Mustang convertible.  It was lovely, even in LA traffic jams.

It doesn't take long to get out into the mountains, though

As you head north, it just gets drier and hotter

Ugh.


Richard loved this old Peterbilt--the turquoise color was pretty classic!



We stopped for burgers at In-N-Out, and switched drivers 

Considering the fact he's never driven on the right side of the road, he doesn't look too nervous!

Love this picture...such an amazing car.  It was such a smooth ride, and I've never had a car accelerate so easily--very dangerous!


Richard did very well driving in the States--I think being unfamiliar with our road system made him a much better, more cautious driver than I am!

We spotted so many other Mustangs on our trip!  It was great--made us feel like we'd made the right choice   by picking an American classic.

It was about 100 degrees at this point--we had to put the top up and use the AC!
This was basically it for the first day.  Our hotel was in Los Banos, a town we chose based on the fact that it's about halfway between LA and Napa on I-5.  It also had Target & Wal-Mart, so I was loving that!

No comments: