Sunday, October 14, 2007

Liverpool


Fountain in one of the central shopping areas

Street scene in the shopping center--it's pedestrian only (except for the occasional police car or street sweeper), so that's nice.

Liverpool's Lime Street Station

Mathew Street, where the Cavern Club and The Grapes are. It's where the Beatles first really got gigs to play, back when Pete Best was their drummer, before they went to Hamburg, etc.

The Cavern Club didn't serve alcohol, so the lads would drink down the street at the Grapes. It also was a place to avoid screaming underage fans. Not that they weren't interested in girls--the boys always sat at the same table, strategically near the ladies' room.

Shrine on Mathew Street for the Beatles

The famed Cavern Club

Not a good pic of me, but an older tourist couple was nice enough to take a pic for me, so I felt I ought to post it anyway.

17th century Liverpool charter, which I was impressed by until I saw...

The 1229 charter! Even better!

I found it funny that they have T.K. Maxx instead of T.J. Maxx...


The absolutely adorable and very talented singer-songwriter. I watched him for ages, bought his CD, chatted a bit with him...and met some awesome teens who were also watching him. He played some of my favorite songs: Damien Rice's Cannonball, David Gray's Babylon, Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, Elton John's Your Song, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, etc. Loved it!

Exhibit in the Maritime Museum about camp gay culture in the navy

Exhibit in the Slavery Museum. It was moving, but very depressing.



One of Paul's suits. Photography wasn't allowed in the Beatles museum, but this is at the Liverpool museum.

Quay side of the Mersey

Walkway along the Mersey


Across the Mersey






Ah, globalization...Not only did they have Subway, but also Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC, McDonald's, etc.

Lime Street Station





My hotel room--2 twin beds, very nice window, ensuite bath/shower--loved it.



No comments: