Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fall scenes


Leeds Cathedral

On the walk to school/city centre, just where Burley Road starts to become more residential

Early morning shot--we've started to have frost on the rooftops


There's a pot of gold in the Morrison's parking lot!

Not much has happened since my last post. I've spent a lot of time reading & drinking coffee because I've got an essay due soon. Whenever I get tired of reading about populist movements, I watch a little TV. BBC stopped posting "2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" reruns online, so I've started watching more literary adaptations. BBC has the 10-part series "Lark Rise to Candleford" and there's a new 16-part Andrew Davies version of Dickens' "Little Dorrit." Andrew Davies always makes such high quality films. I mean, it's no "2 Pints," but you know, not every show can attain that level of sophistication...

Yesterday I had my first radio experience, which was surprisingly fun. I was nervous at first, but after a little while you just feel like you're chatting with friends--they all just happen to have headphones on and big microphones in front of them. This was a bit of a test run for election night. I'm really looking forward to it--nine hours of tracking the results and hanging out with people in the studio who are as into this event as I am.

During the last election, I was watching the results come in on CNN alone in my room at Vanderbilt. I stayed up late, waiting on Ohio, and when they called it for Bush, I cried. My first election will probably always be one of the biggest letdowns of my life. So, I suppose what I want to say here is that I'm going to be nice to McCain/Palin supporters if Obama wins. I won't rub it in their faces, as fun as that would be after what happened to me in 2004 (namely, the drunk frat boy peeing on my Kerry/Edwards window sign...ewww)

Saturday I'm going to the Lake District, so I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to post then. Nicole and I are going with school through this "Give it a Go" program the University runs--the tickets are 16 pounds, which isn't bad at all. The only downside is that we leave Leeds at 8:30am, but that's alright--as long as I have coffee, I can make myself be a morning person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed losing your radio cherry. As always, I tried to be a gentle and considerate partner, and take all the weight through my elbows like a gentleman should! Can't wait to be your co-anchor - and do the happy dance (thank God it's radio) when we depants the GOP. Love ya, kiddo.