Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bumbershoot


Mal & I fuel up pre-concert at Pagliacci

Seattle Center, transformed for Bumbershoot and packed with people. The mainstage access tickets actually sold out for Saturday!

The fountain, full of kids

Vendors--lots of hippie clothes, handmade jewelry and art

Another stage, with the fountain and Queen Anne Hill in the background

Pacific Science Center arches, with food vendors all along the sidewalk

Memorial stadium, the Bumbershoot Mainstage

Me at the mainstage

Mal at the mainstage

The Decemberists--they really put on a great show!

Me and the Space Needle

Starbucks break! I love that "From Here For Here" sign, like the Public Market sign...so cute!
Mal and I weren't that into Neko Case, the band playing in between the Decemberists and Bob Dylan, so we had coffee and strawberry shortcake and gave our feet a rest for awhile. We were going to be standing for awhile yet...

Bob playing "Rainy Day Women # 12 and 35"




I know my pictures look pretty good, but they're edited. This is what the concert really looked like for us. See that little man in the distance, about the size of that man's ear? Yeah, that's Dylan.


On the piano, where we could see him a bit better



They turned the lights blue for "Tangled up in Blue"...

One of the last songs of the evening, "Ballad of a Thin Man"--I love that one!

I tried to take a shot of the Space Needle from the roof of the parking garage, and none of them turned out...but I thought this came out pretty cool anyway :)


Dylan started the show off with "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" (aka, "everybody must get stoned"), and I'd rather he left that one out...it inspired a lot of people to light up, and the smell of pot didn't go away for the rest of the evening--yech! Next, he played my favorite song of his, "Don't think twice, it's alright." It doesn't sound like the original, but it's still great. There's a youtube video from a concert abt a year ago that shows what it sounds like nowdays
Then he played a couple more old ones, a newer one--Rollin' and Tumblin' from his 2006 album, which is fun & bluesy. He really didn't do much new stuff...just 2 from 2006 and one from last year's album. He did a great job of "Desolation Row", which I thought he'd never do live--it's 11 minutes long! And of course, he ended the night with "Like a Rolling Stone," and the audience loved it. He still looks and sounds the same as he did when I first saw him in 2001--if anything, he seems to have more energy and enthusiasm now, which is great to see!
Mal & I had an amazing time, and I'm so glad we got to do this before I go back :)

No comments: